Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Promotional Tools



As a rule, I like to promote from within. I think it gives my employees a sense that they are working toward something, and that good effort will eventually be rewarded. However, I am answerable to our doctors, and there is a standard which must be upheld regardless of who the candidate for promotion is.



The main thing I look for in someone who will be taking on a supervisory role is a certain self-reliance. Are they are a problem solver? If they need frequent management, they are not going to be able to handle the responsibility.



Another important aspect is good interpersonal skills. Not only will the right person have to be able to get along with everyone, but they will have to be mature enough to handle the shift in office dynamics from co-worker to boss. It can be a heady change, and the pressure can sometimes make even the most amiable person somewhat overbearing.



Once I've made the promotion, I provide a complete listing of what the new position entails, including the necessary training, and my goals and expectations. I want the person to feel complete comfort within the parameters of the new job, so they can stay focussed on learning.



For me, the hardest part is letting go. Usually, a person needs a few months of coaching and then they're on their own. I love being a resource, and miss it when my advice is no longer sought (it's the same way with my kids!).



How about you? Any tips or rules of thumb you care to share regarding promotions would be most welcome. Reader comments are always so helpful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home