Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Stray Cats




My husband likes to joke that I’m the patron saint of lost animals in our neighborhood, and it’s true. I have always felt an innate desire to help those less fortunate or who may be outsiders. While this can have a different dimension when you are dealing with people instead of pets, I feel an equally strong obligation to help others when I have the chance.

Several years ago, I fired a woman who had crossed the line. In our profession, a person is usually terminated either due to underperformance, excessive absenteeism or tardiness, inappropriate behavior with staff or patients, or a breach of patient confidentiality.

In this case, the employee was underperforming and failed to show up for several shifts without any notice whatsoever. Initially, I gave her a verbal warning, and she was grateful. She gave me a laundry list of personal issues and said she was so caught up in her personal drama that she didn’t realize how she was neglecting her work.

When things didn’t improve, I gave her a written warning. I also had a brief conversation with the head physician. After a sufficient length of time where she proved incapable of improvement, I had her sign a separation agreement, and she was terminated.

It should never be a surprise when someone is let go. The documentation and process involved should make all options clear, including the negative one. I try to give people as much latitude as possible, but sometimes that winds up being a case of giving them just enough rope to hang themselves.

Anyway, I thought I’d never hear from this woman again. In fact, we’d exchanged a few words on her way out, which I had always regretted. A few months ago, I got a call from her. She sounded calm and gracious, and she asked me if I would meet her for lunch. She said she was sorry for how things had turned out, and she wanted to talk to me about it.

I realize many of you wouldn’t have gone, but of course you know I did, and I’m glad for it. She was dressed nicely, and her demeanor was very different. She told me she had gotten out of her bad relationship, and finished her education. She said my firing her was a wake-up call, and that it made her determined to change her life.

She told me that she was up for a job at a medical technology company, and that she could use a good reference. It was a risk, but I backed her up. She got the job, and from all reports, is doing very well.

I realize that I took an enormous risk, but sometimes people change. I value my reputation in the local medical community, but I would be a poor steward of that authority if I didn’t occasionally use it to help people in need.

I’m not sure we’ll ever be friends, this woman and I, but like a stray cat, she wandered in and needed support. I gave her what help I could and let her go her own way. Sometimes all anyone needs is a nudge in the right direction.

As always, I’d love to hear what you have to say. Any stray cats you’ve helped straighten out from a wayward course?

3 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find myself in the position of keeping staff with the hopes that there will be change. I have sometimes been surprised that it happens, but I am always grateful when it does.
In one situation I finally had to let someone go. I had spent a significant amount of time and energy on retention and correction. Things would improve for a time but would return with a new twist.
She remained friends with another staff member who told me later that she had a real wake up call, and has made many positive changes in her life since. Although she did not express gratitude, it worked out for the best.
I try to keep this in mind when looking at each situation. I try to remember that retention is not always the best.

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am actually facing this very problem as I type! I have had an employee for five years who has never been an over achiever but has been here day in and day out and gets her job completed without problem. Within the past six months she has struggled to complete her daily work, workload has not increased, she has not taken vacation time, etc. Her and I sat down and tried to figure out what the problem might be.. neither her or I could pin point the source of the problem. I created an action plan to get her caught up and working independently again. This plan was to end 12-31-07, and she is to be on her own as she has been for the past five years eff. 1-1-08. Nothing has changed thus far. She is still behind and its actually worse now than six months ago. I am aware of some family issues I try not to get to involved with them but I was desperate to figure out the problem. I am now facing the termination process.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought all of these comments were very interesting. All have the same ring to me as what I find all of the time in my job. It makes me wonder if health care administrators are perhaps more tolerant or more willing to work with employees than managers in other fields.

Over the last 5 years, I feel like I've spent more time on employee issues than in the previous 15 years combined. Maybe it is because each situation is so individual that it is hard to generalize rules that take care of situations without having to think specifically.

That being said, I think it is extremely important to have guidelines regarding lateness or missed time and to act very promptly when those barriers are breached. I've seen several situations get out of hand when supervisors were lax in monitoring leave or lateness.

Finally, I have the very same situation regarding whether I should give someone a second chance right now. I'm going to weigh the risks and ask a number of others what they think, but my sense of what is right is that I will usually take the risk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home