Sunday, December 09, 2007

Leading by Example



I am an outgoing person, but I don't come by it naturally. At heart, I'm a shy person. When I was first given the opportunity to manage, the head doctor I was working for sat me down privately and told me that while he had confidence in my abilities, his only doubt was that if could truly lead.



At first I was taken aback, but I realized what he meant. I had a great rapport with my co-workers when I was one of them, but I had always been something of a follower. My leadership possibilities became apparent through my competence and willingness to work, but not in acting like a figurehead. That doctor did me a favor by making me aware of appearances; a crucial factor in managing people.




Back then, I made a short list of what I needed to do, and I still refer to it. I've kept it private until now, but I'll share it in the hope that it may help someone else or even reinforce their management style:




  1. Make connections. Although I am shy, I have always liked people. I make efforts to get to know my entire staff, and learn their quirks and interests. I also take the time to share things about myself. Being a manager, I tend to be less personal in some of my details, but I don't skimp on the directness of my communication. I'd say everyone who has ever worked for me, has gotten to know me to some purposeful degree.


  2. Name dropping. It's a technical truth that people respond favorably to hearing their own name. I make a point of stopping by everyone's work area throughout the day, looking them in the eye, and occasionally addressing them by name. I use a positive, considerate tone. I believe that no matter how familiar you become with your staff, you must always treat them with the same manners you'd show a house guest.


  3. Perception is reality. How people view and respond to you is very important. Notice body language and tone when you interact with others. Ask a staff member you can trust their opinion on how you come across. (Questions such as how would you describe my style? What one or two things would you change about my communication style?) Their feedback could prove invaluable, since others can frequently see your blind spots with great clarity.


I've been a manager for years, and there are days when I still feel like I'm just beginning. The fact that I'm introverted by nature will always mean that I have to force myself to project. There will always be a measure of calculation in my behavior. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.



As always, I'd welcome your input. What things do you keep in mind? How do they relate to your personality?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home