Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Mission



Every medical practice should have a mission statement, which is simply a written document of the goals and attitudes of the physicians in charge. It needn't be a lengthy or lofty document. In fact, the more precise and to the point it is, the more effective it will be.



The key is to be succinct and clear. What sets your practice apart from others? What can be done to achieve these goals? Is the statement which results a problem-solving document? A rulebook to use when necessary?



Once written, it's important to post your mission statement in a public place and refer to it whenever necessary. Review it annually and allow input from staff members if they have a strong or important point of view that augments what you create.



As far as I'm concerned, the mission statement is a necessary lynchpin in creating a good working culture. Of course, the lead physician sets the overall tone, but as an office manager, I am constantly aware that my problem-solving abilities are crucial to maintaining order. If I keep my cool and react with good humor, I set a positive example for my staff. Ultimately, I am there to support the doctors, and I never forget that.



And our doctors are extremely gracious and loyal to our staff as well. Little compliments noted here and there are vital to morale, in addition to incentives that I've discussed here previously. (Recently, I instituted the option of employees having their birthday off as a paid day after a year of service, which was extremely well-received.)



The other culture which is important to any practice is the one you are treating. What is the general median income of the community you work in? Are your patients affluent or lower to middle class? The expectation of your customers is important. It influences the look and demeanor of your practice, and knowing something simple, like the eating habits of patients, gives physicians deeper insight on how to treat them.



Again, a mission statement is extremely useful to staying on track. It should encompass the needs of your patient culture as well as the internal one in your office. It gives your practice a spine to support major decisions, and keeps everyone on the same page.



As always, I'm curious to know what you think. Do you have a mission statement? Does it help in running your practice?

1 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you! I've been a true believer in haveing a well crafted mission statement and in keeping it in front of ALL employees everyday.

A previous boss taught me that - we hade laminated wallet sized cards with the mission statement printed on them - he rewareded us at staff meeting when we could quote the mission statement! I currently have a framed copy of my organizations mission statement on my office wall.

Since this is the statement of why we are in business and what we intend to accomplish each day - it makes sense to have it front and center!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home