Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ratings



I have previously written about online ratings services for doctors. I do a lot of work on the internet in my off-hours, and I know just how vapid and pernicious bad commentary is, so I am highly skeptical of any service that gives an anonymous forum where people can vent about medical care.



I'm sure it is empowering to many people who can feel intimidated when dealing with a medical professional, but I think it leaves a lot to be desired. After all, no patient is perfect. Many don't properly communicate their problems or follow their doctor's instructions.



Now insurance companies are getting into the ratings game, which is all part of their supposed quest for efficiency and customer service. I have to wonder where all of this judgment-passing is leading? Doesn't it create a climate of fear for the medical community?



A doctor friend of mine who works for another practice met me for lunch the other day. He was beside himself with worry, having just received a negative review online. He's a pediatrician and somebody accused him falsely of prescribing an adult medication for their sick child. He had no idea who the patient was, and couldn't recall any recent patient dissatisfaction.



He's a sensitive sort, and my kids all went to him, so I know he is a caring professional. I worked with him early in my career and I've never known any doctor who was so patient and lacking in the usual ego that can get in the way of good treatment. A few negative words on the internet and his entire career meant nothing to him--he was devastated.



"I'd like to think people take all of that with a grain of salt," he said, finally. "But the fact is I know it's there. Somebody cared enough to write it."



It's a good thing for doctors for to be aware and question their decision-making. It makes them better at their job. However, there's a point at which a course of action or a diagnosis has to happen, and sometimes mistakes will be made. The fallibility inherent in the process is what gives the medical profession a certain nobility. Every decision is a potential risk of reputation.



I'd give anything to ease my doctor friend's sorrow. He contacted the website and they are supposedly going to remove the false accusation. In time, I'm sure we'll both laugh about it. In time.



As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Do any of you have experience with online ratings?

2 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your concern about online ratings, but there's a completely different way to look at it. Online doctor ratings can be a very good thing for doctors and for the public. It is a problem only when just the dissatisfied patients do the ratings. If doctors would just ask all their patients to do online ratings, we'd get to see a much more representative sample. That's the point of www.DrScore.com, a website I started where patients can rate doctors (and doctors can use the feedback to enhance their service).

Should doctors be afraid of online ratings? I asked a group of doctors what they thought the average doctor’s patient satisfaction score would be. On a scale of 0-10, they gave answers in the range of 4-6. The actual median score of doctors (with 20 or more ratings) on the www.DrScore.com online patient satisfaction survey website is 9.5 out of 10! Even doctors don’t realize what a great job we are doing, tending to see each others’ failures and rarely each others’ happy patients.

Doctors certainly don’t need to try to prohibit patients from rating doctors on the Internet. What are we trying to hide—the greatest collection of physicians of all time?! Instead, we ought to be encouraging all our patients to rate us on the Internet. For one, the public would get to see a more representative picture of the great job U.S. physicians are doing every day (we certainly aren’t going to see that picture in our newspapers or TV news broadcasts). And two, the Internet is an easy, inexpensive way to get feedback from patients (you can see a sample report at http://www.drscore.com/physician/drscore_report.pdf); getting feedback can only help us achieve our goals of giving our patients the best possible medical care.

Steven R. Feldman, M.D., Ph.D.
Founder, www.DrScore.com

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger pp-md said...

Believe it or not, they were all positive, and have driven lots of business toward the practice.

I suppose it can work both ways.

Good or bad, true or not, potential patients read it, and it does make a difference.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home