Friday, October 26, 2007

Risk Management



Recently, I read about a bride who was suing someone for a botched flowers on her wedding cake. When people start seeing lawsuits in the wrong frosting, what chance do those of us in the medical profession have?



While I'm not a lawyer, I've learned a few practical tips on how to practice risk management. Really, what it boils down to is common sense.



For example, physicians in our practice are very specific when it comes to follow-up visits and refills. Their instructions to the patients are clear, so that there can be no misunderstanding regarding treatment.



When we have to discontinue treating a patient due to nonpayment, we provide them with ample warning. We also word our intent in a polite and gracious way. There is no point in antagonizing a patient during such a stressful time.



Another potential landmine is patient privacy. Physicians and staff never discuss medical information with a patient in an open area. Any time an insurance company or third party requests information, we ask for it in writing, and verify it with the patient-in-question.



Of course, my main concern is with how my staff conducts itself during interactions with our patients. They are under strict orders to never offer an opinion, and only to relay information that they are given. Anything more, they are instructed to refer the patient to their physician.



I remember a woman who once worked with me. She was very pious, and after a short time on the job, started to proselytize to patients. When one of them complained to our manager, the employee was fired on the spot. It was a lesson I never forgot.



I've often noted the importance of communication as a way to avoid many pitfalls in running a medical practice. When it comes to potential litigation, a paper trail is vital. If anything, erring on the side of excess never hurts. But another key is common sense and respect for others. I'd say everything I've suggested here falls under that general category.



Of course, there's no telling what some future patient will find worthy of a lawsuit. If we're lucky, it won't be the equivalent of bad frosting!



Naturally, I'm curious about your opinion. What stories or words of caution might you offer?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home