Thursday, September 13, 2007

Some Management Tips



Today, I thought it would be nice to jot down some of my principles of management. Mind you, I am not trying to say that I know better than anyone else--anyone who reads this blog knows I am very open to public opinion--but I do think my years of experience, trial and error, have made me very good at my job.



First of all, one of my main rules is no one on my staff is allowed to feel a job is beneath them. We cross-train, and if a person has extra time to help someone else, they will do so. I am not exempt from this policy, by the way. I am usually the first person in and the last person to leave, and I make a point of helping file and take phone calls when my schedule permits. I've found that leading by example is a very potent message.



Another key tenet is that I act as an advocate for my staff. When someone has a legitimate complaint with something, I do everything in my power to rectify the situation. Also, when a clerical staff member has a problem, I tell them to blame me, so I will be the one to take the heat from the medical staff. It's crucial that my staff trusts me to act on their behalf.



Everyone has a voice. During our weekly meetings, anyone is allowed to speak their mind on anything work-related. The physicians are there as well, and it creates a real spirit of camaraderie. I've worked at places where doctors have been more aloof, and you can tell by the way their staff acts. I feel the doctors are as obligated as I am to show an interest in the people who work for them. After all, they're upper management.



This past year I have also experimented with a new system to encourage better attendance. Most people view sick time as "mental health days," but in a medical practice, it can make things much more stressful. As I've noted, we cross-train, so people are able to fill in the gaps, but to discourage unnecessary sick time, I offered bonuses of $250 for every 6 months of perfect attendance. I timed it for January (right after the holidays) and July (prior to a new school year for those with children and an extra summer bonus for others).



The effect was astonishing. At least half of our staff had perfect attendance, and the good will their financial reward engendered boosted office morale considerably.



A medical office is a fast-paced environment and change is a constant. By managing with the above rules in mind, and letting the staff know that policy changes aren't written in stone--that there is always a trial period for implementation, to smooth over the rough patches--the stress level can remain low. We feel like a real team, and that translates to a good place for patients to come visit.



As I noted at the beginning of this post, I'm very curious what you think. What management tips have helped your practice? What do you think of mine? Any comment is much-appreciated.

4 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of bonus for attendance.. Right now I am having some attendance problems. What do you do for your weekly meetings. Ours are once a month if we even have that. I would like to meet at least twice a month.

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I like most of your ideas, I think that taking the blame for other employees who have problems is slightly risky. To me, this might lead employees to think they can rely on you to absorb the bumps that all of our practices have. It also takes away the opportunity for employees to learn how to handle tough situations by themselves before having the opportunity to use you as a whipping boy.

Also, while your attendance bonus seems to be working (and I give you kudos for this), isn't sad that we have to bribe our employees with additional money in order to improve their attendance instead of being able to hire people with solid work ethics in the first place?

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My concern about the attendance bonus is that you would have sick employees coming to work so they can earn their money. Has this been an issue?

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with you on paying a bonus for good attendance. To me it undermines a persons responsibility to come to work.money. It also encourges the younger employees to expect to be paid extra if you just show up. That is a bad thing. I would pay a bonus for more work not just because they came to work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home