Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Art of an Office



An important part of any medical office is the art which hangs on its walls. This rarely gets discussed, but the mood established when a patient comes into your practice is very important.


When I first started managing at my current office, they had paintings of animals and clowns. I guess they were going for a circus atmosphere.


A friend who runs a local cafe, suggested that I do what she does, and solicit local artists to hang their work. No price tags, but a card noting where they can be reached. I looked into it, and after reviewing a few people, I found some nice oil paintings that gave a warm feeling (usually featuring families, I'll admit).


I also had some photos of our doctors and staff framed and placed in the examination rooms. It was my feeling that this would humanize us to the patients, and I can't tell you how often people comment that it's a nice, personal touch.


Another thing I did recently, was to dedicate a wall to the children who come to our office. While they are waiting, we give them crayons and paper, and let them draw to their heart's content. We then display their work on a rotating basis. Sometimes the kids come in when they haven't got an appointment, just to see their drawing on the wall!


A good practice considers every aspect of its operation. Believe me when I tell you that how you decorate your office will make a difference. Yes, the quality of the medical care is what counts, but never underestimate the power of proper presentation. I'd love to hear any of your ideas or stories on office decor.

5 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments about the decor. We have improved our image by changing the paint colors, new wall hanging, and furniture to more of a harm yet professional look. We receive positive comments everyday! Many of the patients are already on edge and making their first impression and experience with our environment makes them more comfortable.

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne
I agree, but the doctors don't seem to care. We need NEW carpeting, new wallpaper, and new paint (it's been 7 years), but they think it's not noticed.
I wish they would read this blog.

 
At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not agree more about the importance of decor in an office. We rented space while we grew our practice; when we finally could afford to we built our own office. It was when we rented that I realized the importance of creating a calm, inviting space that did not intimidiate the patients when they came in. I hated that everything in the office looked so 'medical' and sterile looking (not that sterile is bad - it just can be intimidating I think to a lot of people espeically when they've just had bad news about their health). That said, I spent considerable time designing the flow, work space and over all atmosphere for our new space. I wanted our space to feel like they were walking into somebody's home rather than a stuffy medical office. I chose hardwood floors, ambiant lighting, sky lights, wood cabinets and matching counter tops. It makes me beam with pride when I hear from patients and the reps that come in that it doesn't feel like an office - home rather and it is one of the nicest offices they've ever been to. All that said - it didn't cost me any more (the hardwood is an investment and lasts longer than carpet that would have to be replaced in 7-10 years... so I think in the long haul I'll have saved money). Our break room looks like it could be in anybody's home - with a built in wrap-around bench seating (with storage underneath.) Our conference room doubles as a second patient waiting room. I bought a large formal dining table - rather than a conference table, added built-in book cases and have a 52" TV in there for patients to watch while their procedure is conducted. I even have artwork painted by one of our patients! I didn't hire a decorator; all it takes is a little thought and creativity. By the way, we even have a cat here to entertain! (I guess that is a whole other topic - pet therapy and benefits.)

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not in the medical field or anything but, I have to say that I hate carpet in a dr's office. Carpeting makes it feel dirty to me. I really hate going to my kids ped and having my daughter sit on the floor to read a book, i have no idea who may have thrown up there or something. A dr's office with wood floors or even that industrial tile is much better to me.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger jenny said...

My husband wants to put hard wood in his medical office exam rooms. I'm worried that it won't be able to take the high traffic, rolling stool, occasional bodily fluid spills and frequent mopping. Is this not a problem?
Jenny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home