Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Administrative Pitfalls


I recently read a wonderful article about pitfalls to avoid when trying to be an effective medical office administrator. I have learned many of them the hard way, so I hope this helps people who are new to the profession or in need of a refresher. They are:


  1. Ignoring patient satisfaction while focusing exclusively on business performance. This is a huge temptation, since if the profit margin suffers, you feel like a failure. After all, you don't treat the patients medically, your job is to run the office. However, that misses the obvious fact that the patient is the lifeblood of the practice, and if their needs are ignored, you won't have a business.

  2. Losing track of inventory. Sometimes it's tempting to take advantage of discounts and specials, but it's important to have a long and accurate record of needed supplies to avoid overstocking. Bad decisions about what to order can be like throwing money away.

  3. Failing to maintain adequate and appropriate staffing levels. When I first started managing, I tended to hire too much staff. The fear I had was not having the proper coverage, but what I wound up with was too many part-time staffers who had virtually no loyalty to me or the practice.

  4. Being too timid with physicians. Many doctors cultivate a presence that can be hard to get past. It doesn't matter. An office manager who fears the doctors in her practice cannot be effective at her job. Period. Whatever intimidation you feel, you have to get over it.

  5. Communicating too little or too much with physicians. The office manager is the conduit of information for the doctors, who have their hands full taking care of patients and staying abreast of their profession. The key is knowing when to tell them important things about patients or business matters, and how much they need to know.

Much of the above is learned through trial-and-error. There is no perfect way to manage a practice. The main thing is to have a good sense of organization, and a system for things like inventory and staffing. The overwhelming nature of medicine is an exciting challenge when you have your priorities in order. Any thoughts or additions to the list?

3 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest including staff on decision making process. They need to made to feel a part of the solution or they become part of the problem. Managing a practice means NOT working in a silo - although sometimes it would be easier, don't you think?

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest rewarding employees with perks that don't cost the practice alot - gift cards to the hospital cafeteria, small box of candy, 2 movie tickets.
I find that staff is much needier for approval than I would have thought.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I agree with Rosie as far as gifting your staff. I know that my staff makes my job so much more easier and I appreciate them so much. Every once in a while I will bring them something in appreciation.
I also agree with including your staff and their ideas in all decision making. My staff was given a challenge towards improving their workspace and they came through with so many great ideas and now we are running smoothly!
Also I feel that you have to bring balance to your office as far as management and patient care. When your patients and your staff see how commited you are, they will respond in a positive way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home