Monday, January 22, 2007

Will Robot Nurses Require a Thermometer or a Dipstick?

(Before I start today's post, I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my last one about employers providing onsite medical care. I learned a lot from your comments, and wanted to say that even though I usually take a stance on something, I welcome everyone's opinion.)

This recent article in MedGadget suggests that robot nurses and doctors aren't far off in our future:

"The European Union is funding scientists to develop 'nurse bots', mechanised robots designed to perform basic tasks such as mopping up spillages, taking messages and guiding visitors to hospital beds...In the future more advanced nurse bots could even be used to distribute medicines and even monitor the temperature of patients remotely with laser thermometers or thermal cameras."

Apparently, the more sophisticated version of these "bots" would work in teams together. I didn't know this, but there are "robo-surgeons" already being employed (or perhaps "employ" is the wrong word).

The theory is these androids will optimize their services to eliminate waste and create a better, more organized method of patient care. This will supposedly give the human element a better chance to thrive, since a lot of the busywork will be handled by machines.

We've come a long way from the TV cartoon "The Jetson's" with their mechanized maid making short work of housecleaning. In some obvious ways, I am reminded of my uncle who lost his auto factory job in the 1980's to a machine. On the one hand, he hated that job and was glad to try something new, but on the other a lot of people lost their way of life.

Which isn't to say that I am automatically against these innovations in technology. For instance, when it comes to things like office computerization or insurance card scanners, I can see the direct benefits. I like the human element in medical care, but maybe that's a generational thing. Children not yet born may one day prefer a healthcare system where the only human face they see is their own.

Still, I am a practical person. Hospitals are complex environments, and once nurse-bots become commonplace, I foresee a long period of adjustment. In other words, patients shouldn't be surprised if the mechanical nurse who just took their temperature used a dipstick, and diagnosed them as a quart low.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have learned many painful lessons that support exactly what you indicate. The most importand quality is attitude first and skills second.

Blog: Healthcare Managers
Link: http://healthcaremanagers.blogspot.com/2007/01/hirer-beware-when-i-first-started-doing.html

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a very challenging topic. Danforth Hosptial in
Connecticut at one point had a robot called a Helpmate. I believe they
sold it to Pyxis in the mid 90's and then it went away. It worked great
to deliver stuff - lab speciments, food trays, medications and it had an
interface to Otis elevators. Other than this product there doesn't seem
to be anthing on the horizon other than the really high tech stuff that
they are using in surgery. Mh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home