Monday, November 13, 2006

Career Opportunities

A nurse in our office recently quit at age 58 to work for an insurance company. Apparently, her years of service in the medical field have made her qualified to do case management, which really amounts to her using her expertise to review patient care for treatment and cost efficiency.

I was sad to see my friend go, but she was burned out on nursing, and not ready to retire. So I was happy that she could find something that gave her a chance to still work and use her experience.

It seems that a lot of people are opting for this second career path. The key is to translate your abilities to a field where they would be useful. My friend told me she got offers to do legal consultation for medical lawsuits, and that her brother-in-law's architectural firm may ask her advice for a new medical facility they're designing.

We live in an amazing time, full of opportunities! I'm very happy with my present career path, but it's good to know that I will have options should I ever change my mind.

What do you think? Have you switched your career path? Do you know someone who has?

2 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting... I'd be interested in trying something new, but I wonder what the market is like for a 52 year old woman that has never done anything else.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Anne said...

I understand your concern. It's not for everybody, but that doesn't mean you can't look into it. See what jobs are available in your community. Talk to a recruiter. You might be pleasantly surprised!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home