Tuesday, November 07, 2006

We Have the Technology!

Every so often I read something like this article on C/Netnews.com that really upsets me. It says that most small doctors' offices are still filing claims by using billing agencies! Unlike large corporations, which can afford to implement cost-saving methods for accounts receivable, smaller practices lag behind. Here's a snippet that I found interesting:

"But most doctors practice in small groups, representing the majority of the nation's 750,000 physicians. About two-thirds of physicians practice in groups of eight or fewer, according to Eric Brown, principal analyst for health care at Forrester Research.

"Practices like these may only recently have installed a computer, with an office manager serving as the entire technology support department. With no compelling reason to move forward--like a hard federal deadline and sanctions to back it--they'll drag their feet on a requirement that, at least in the short term, doesn't improve their bottom line and may damage it."

That's right, when all else fails, dump more work on the office manager! The article makes the point that while the technology is there, what needs to change is the insular office culture. I am grateful that my boss is forward-thinking about this kind of thing. It's the 21st century, and people have to realize that the old way of doing things is costing them money in the long run.

4 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an office manager with 10 employees and 3 doctors. I AM the IT department. I have an IT service I can call when I get stuck, but no staff to help. In fact most of my staff still act like they've never seen a computer.

It is very taxing and I now have to work after hours even more to update, upgrade and otherwise improve the hardware and software we use.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Anne said...

"In fact most of my staff still act like they've never seen a computer."

Wow. In this day and age! I know what you mean, but it still surprises me.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! This is the next big challange for the office manager. As software implementation continues to increase within the practice environment, an IT support person is needed. I have become the IT support for 3 clinical applications, a practice managment system and an accounting system. Training off-site employees becomes even more challenging.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have 5 physicians and a NP. I agree, I am the IT dept. Lucky for me, one of the young partner is a computer nut and does know alot of the techincal aspects. But I'm in this business 26 years and on top of all the other duties I have, being an IT help desk is my least favorite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home