Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Room Without a View



Few things are more annoying than a summer flu, and last week I caught one. I felt bad enough that I wound up going to see my personal doctor, which I must confess I hadn't done in a while. Sometimes those of us in the healthcare profession make the worst patients.


Anyway, you may recall my recent post on office decor. My doctor visit was an eye-opener on that count. It's one thing to view a waiting room as an employee trying to stay within a budget, and quite another when you are an easily-irritated sick person.


The first thing that really bothered me was the uncomfortable, bargain basement furniture they used. I didn't have to wait long, but the hard chair I was in made it seem like I'd spent twice as much time. Also, the chairs and couches were poorly spaced, so the sense of personal space (for myself as well as the others waiting) was almost nonexistent. When I'd been there previously for a check-up, I hadn't noticed, but since I had made this appointment at the last minute on a Friday and I was feeling toxic, I really became aware of everyone around me.


Another thing which really bothered me was the music they played. I realize muzak is a bland choice designed not to offend anyone, but I'd really prefer no music at all if I had a choice! It made the waiting room seem like a giant elevator.


Finally, I would've loved a magazine that was published in the last five years or so to read. When you're in that situation, you crave some kind of distraction. A television discretely in the corner can be good, but at the very least some recent magazines targeted to your patient demographic are a must.


Of course, I said none of this to the staff or my doctor. The latter is one of the best in the area, and we are friends as well, so I didn't want to offend her. I just took note of everything and thought I'd discuss it in my blog. What do you think? Is your waiting room a point of pride or a means to an end? As always, I'm interested in your opinion.


7 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a large waiting area, however, with many patients to be seen by 20 physicians, it can get crowded. We recently moved into a new building and really wanted the wait to be comfortable for our patients. We do have comfortable chairs and couches and we have a sufficient amount of space that you can sit away from others if you want, if it is not busy busy that day. (By the way, we tried a well vs. sick area and EVERYONE, sick or not, set in the well area!) We have a large screen television on one area, and I must make the comment that we bought over 200 dollars worth of new magazines and within 2 days, they were gone! We dont know where they went, but they were not in the waiting room or the exam rooms...so there is your reason that most waiting areas have 5 year old magazines..not many patients take those home!??

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I compliment my personal physicians when things are done well and it makes it easier to deliver a critique when they are not. Unfortunately, many patients are concerned about the possibility of receiving inferior care if they complain. As difficult as it can be, I think that those of us in the profession of practice management need to speak-up when we see obvious deficits in a practice, whether it’s the waiting room, scheduling, billing, whatever. You have even more reason to share your perspective - she's your friend. Let her know of the shortcomings. She has probably not given it any thought. Ask her to spend just 10 minutes in her waiting room, then to call you.

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waiting rooms make an impression and should be comfortable. we have a small TV that is old and has a bad picture. My suggestion to replace with a large screen new model was met with grumpy complaining from the doctor that the TV was fine. We have the latest magazines, and they do disappear. It's nice if there is coffee or tea available, or spring water. I don't think most doctors are aware.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger pp-md said...

It's sad that some physician owners don't realize that pts form an impression of the quality of care they receive by the recency of the magazines in the reception area. If the staff / physician can't even keep the magazines current, how does the provider stay current with his/her continuing education and care? This is something that is well known in the HR field.

Leather chairs, updated magazines tailored to my pt demographics (no AARP, Modern Maturity, thank you), soft smooth jazz music, and Sparkletts water in my reception area. Pts are appropriately scheduled so that area is truly a reception area, not a waiting room.

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, one solution is to minimize waiting time. Patients really appreciate that.

We place a premium on a clean waiting room. After a while, chairs tend to need a good cleaning and so do carpets. Serviceable furniture is fine; doesn't have to be fancy unless that is the image one wants to have.

I think having enough current magazines is important. Loading up on People Magazine works well because it is both popular and makes for an easy read. Buy enough copies so that if some walk, some are still around. A good selection of other magazines is nice.

I'm not a fan of tv's.

Finally, feedback from any source is great. Some people use secret shoppers, but that requires a lot of effort. Regular patient surveys provide excellent information. We especially like to read the comments since they tend to be the most instructive. But also be sure to walk through your waiting room occasionally to see how things look.

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We realize that patients grade us on our waiting room and take pride in having a completely separate sick and well room (you can't get past the reception staff if you are sick!!). We also have comfortable chairs, updated magazines, toys that are cleaned daily etc. This is the first impression that patients get when they walk into your office - you need to be a step above your competition and this is an easy way to do that. Cleanliness and appearance are on the fore front of our providers mind's which makes this task an easy one for me!

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently waited in an office with no music and it was oppressive. There were old, cheap, ugly pictures on the walls and uncomfortable furniture. I told the doctor about my dissatisfaction and he said he had never heard that from anyone. We need to share our complaints with our peers. I love complaints. Help me make it better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home